Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Maybe They Should Call It One-Sideshow

Let me first say I wouldn't mind seeing Old Hickory's Weblog appear at the AOL Election Sideshow every now and then - or at least the Old Hickory's Election Page that contains the election-specific posts from OHW. But shameless self-promotion aside, what's with the one-sided Republican selection of the AOL Journals listed there?

The only liberal AOL Journal I've seen listed there was Progressive Musings when it first started, and it didn't stay there for long. That is a good blog (which is why I've had it in my OHW blog list for a long time) normally updated daily. I've linked here before to two of the conservative/libertarian blogs that were featured there, RNantz's Think It Over and Charlie Eklund's The Other Shoe (which is also in the OHW blog list).

The ones that are up at Sideshow now are two that are new to me. One is Un-common Sense. He misspells the Monkees as the Monkeys, a real bad sign already. :) In his political posts, he's whining about John Kerry and "Hanoi Jane" Fonda (Good God, when are conservatives going to get over this Jane Fonda obsession?), saying something incomprehensible about gay marriage and generally bitching and moaning about Democrats, liberals and foreign countries. Every political post I've ever seen at Marcia Ellen's well-written liberal blog is of better quality than any I see there.

The other AOL Journal listed at Sideshow is Sid's Journal whose first, last and ONLY post was January 27! Hello? ONE POST?!? The Iraq War Journal with fairly regular postings would have been a better choice, even though the subject matter is restricted to one campaign issue.

Look, I know AOL News has a conservative reputation. But there are lots of elections this year. And the Presidential election is about a lot more than applause for Bush the Magnificent, Liberator of Peoples and Scourge of the Heathen. So let's see some liberal and pro-Democratic blogs up there for a change!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. It's very disheartening to see conservative voices featured so often. And I LOVE Marcia Ellen's journal!

Anonymous said...

Awwww.. thank you both!! ((KISS KISS HUG HUG)) Muchly appreciated for surely sure!! Don't forget to add yourself to that well written Liberal list there, Bruce!! :)

That Happy Chica,
Marcia Ellen

Anonymous said...

Right on, Bruce!
Thanks for your kind words about PM.
I must admit that the current Sideshow journals really have me scratching my head, esp. the one-entry journal.
Maybe it's just me, but the AOL journalists seem to be a pretty liberal bunch for the most part. I've run across several right-wing journals, but it's hard to find one that's as intelligently written as Old Hickory. It's hard to find many that even know what they're talking about -- Ron Nantz and Charles Eklund are exceptions.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on this, I came across the two journals featured in the elections section and it was a huge disappointment. You infinitely are more deserving of a spot there than those two.

It's a shame that AOL has chosen them to represent us AOL journalers to the rest of the online community, because they definitely don't represent the quality of writing and content that we have going.