Sunday, February 15, 2004

Lincoln as Abolitionist (15)

Douglass had learned to be sensitive to the responses of whites to members of his race. He describes the moment at Lincoln's second inaugural when Lincoln pointed out Douglass to his Vice President and soon-to-be-successor, Andrew Johnson. (Life and Times, p. 371)

The first expression which came to his face, and which I think was the true index of his heart, was one of bitter contempt and aversion. Seeing that I observed him, he tried to assume a more friendly appearance; but it was too late; it was useless to close the door when all within had been seen. His first glance was the frown of the man, the second was the bland and sickly smile of the demagogue. I turned to Mrs. Dorsey and said, "Whatever Andrew Johnson may be, he certainly is no friend of our race."

Also very telling is the incident related by Douglass when he arrived to a reception to which he had been invited after the second inaugural, and the guards told him no blacks were allowed.

At this moment a gentleman who was passing in, recognized me, and I said to him: "Be so kind as to say to Mr. Lincoln that Frederick Douglass is detained by officers at the door." It was not long before Mrs. Dorsey and I walked into the spacious East Room, amid a scene of elegance such as in this country I had never witnessed before.

No comments: