Thursday, January 15, 2004

Oral Histories of Slavery Available Online

Friday's Washington Post has a story about a new Web site with recordings of oral histories of former slaves.

The Post article links to the home page of the Library of Congress' American Memory: Historical Collections for the National Digital Library. But the actual collection is a bit more of a challenge to find. Although I can see I need to spend some time at that site.

In fact, I haven't been able to locate the Web pages that give access to the online recordings the Post article talks about. Was the editor asleep on this one? The Web site referenced in the article ought to get you closer to the material than this!

But I did find the John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip page, which does give you access to some actual recordings, although apparently not the ones in the article. I'll keep looking for those.

Later addition: the American Memory home page put up a link to the slavery collection, probably in response to people who read the article like I did and then went to the link and couldn't find the collection: Voices from the Days of Slavery: Former Slaves Tell Their Stories. The Webmaster for American Memory should also spiffing up the search engine a bit. Someone should be able to find a collection easily like that by searching on the exact name given in the Post article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw a presentation of this on HBO a few months ago and requested that my library (in Charlotte NC at that time) purchase the companion book! It's worth checking out.