Friday, September 19, 2003

Stigmatizing Dissent: "Anger-Baiting"

David Corn has written on what he calls "anger-baiting," essentially the same phenomemon I addressed in my previous two posts.

A sample of his take on it:

Perhaps I'm being slow on the uptake, but I've noticed that the Right has found a way to try to diminish left-of-center partisans. In recent weeks, conservative commentators have branded the Bush opposition "The Angry Left," which apparently is not meant as a compliment. ...

The moniker is designed as a put-down, one meant to signal that those afflicted with anti-Bushism are motivated by emotion, not rationality, that they cannot be reasoned with, that they and their ideas need not be taken seriously.

I suspect we'll be hearing much more of this one.  I'm not sure if "anger-baiting" will stick as a name for it. But it's a clever label.

No comments: