Wednesday, September 3, 2003

The Kiss

I've been on vacation for over a week, so I'm catching up on some accumulated entries.

On the postmodern cultural front, how about The Kiss last week? Of course, I mean the Britney Spears and Madonna kiss at the MTV awards.


Madonna kissed Christina Aguilera, too, but hardly anyone seemed to notice.


I joke a lot about Britney.  (Who doesn't?)


But I also think she's a more enduring presence on the popular culture scene than alot of people are even now willing to give her credit for.  One of my favorite singers predicted, "In two years, you won't hear anything about Britney any more."  That was in February, 2001.  Oops!


Picking up on a nickname used for her in a Rolling Stone article, I often refer to her as Boo or Little Boo, and the name seems to fit well.


Boo has an iconic charm not unlike that of Marilyn Monroe.  I think she's Marilyn's reincarnation, myself.  But that's a whole other post...


This is the third time Little Boo has made herself the star of the MTV awards.  She has a new album coming out this fall.  It's likely we are going to be hearing from her for at least a couple of years more.


Here's a slow-mo video from YouTube (added 08/22/07):





- Posted by Bruce Miller 09/03/03


Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was your favorite post?

Anonymous said...

Well, it's *one* of my favorites. I try to do some lighter ones to balance out the more serious political stuff. But, being a bit of a news junkie, that can be a challenge! - Bruce

Anonymous said...

smermmy I'm pretty sure he's joking. Look at the way he finished it "- Posted by Bruce Miller" like he's proud of writting this or something. It's joke, get it, hahaha. How in the world could this possibly be his favorite entry?! Go to http://www.modernhumorist.com/mh/0006/britney/salinger.cfm and you'll find something very similar to this.