Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Alben Barkley, Terrorist sympathizer?

I got a package of stuff today that I had mailed to myself parcel post (US Postal Service) from Mississippi a week and a half ago.  It arrived with a stamp that said:

Damaged in Handling
Please Accept Our Apologies
Rewrapped & Repaired at
[??]MC Memphis, TN 38136-09[?]8

Actually, it had been opened fairly carefully and repacked not so carefully.  The bottom was sort of hanging open, so that if there had been papers or something in it, they could easily have slid out.

The entire contents of the box were college annuals from Delta State Teachers College (Cleveland MS) for 1939, 1940, 1941 and 1942; an old math workbook (that I don't even remember packing!); a 1970 college English anthology of essays; a 1946 edition of Gone With the Wind; and, a copy of That Reminds Me, the 1954 autobiography of Alben Barkley, Harry Truman's Vice President.

Now, I think it's a wonderful thing if the Postal Service is checking for potential anthrax loads and pipe bombs and stuff like that.  And maybe they do random searches or something.

But I have to wonder if it's really a good use of an inspector's time to be poking through packages like this.  I mean, did they think Islamic terrorists were publishing encoded Arabic texts with bomb recipes in the 1939 Delta State Teachers College annual?

Or maybe they combed through the Alben Barkley autobiography, looking for passages that might drive angry young men to Al Qaeda recruiting offices?

I sent myself a box from Austria seven weeks ago with a couple of German books in it that still hasn't arrived.  They're probably getting someone to translate the books first.

No comments: