Wednesday, October 11, 2006

No stab-in-the-back

The script for the Dolchstosslegende/stab-in-the-back excuse for the Iraq War has been in preparation for a while.  By early 2005, you could hear its outlines in statements by retired generals, for instance.

The idea will be that the military could have "won" (which will not be clearly defined) in Iraq if it hadn't been for the sissy civilians on the home front who didn't have the Will to keep the war going.

So while the war is still going on, it worth taking note of claims that related to whether or not the military is being restrained by civilian wusses or not.  Here was our Dear Leader Bush, Smiter of the Heathen, at his press conference today:

And I appreciate Senator Warner going over there and taking a look. I want you to notice what he did say is, if the plan is now not working - the plan that's in place isn't working, America needs to adjust. I completely agree. That's what I talk to General Casey about. I said, General, the Baghdad security plan is in its early implementation. I support you strongly, but if you come into this office and say we need to do something differently, I support you. If you need more troops, I support you. If you're going to devise a new strategy, we're with you, because I trust General Casey to make the judgments necessary to put the tactics in place to help us achieve an objective.

Got that?  Our infallible generals are getting everything they need from the President as soon as they need it.  Is Gen. Casey saying anything different?  Will he later say something different?  How long will it take for the stab-in-the-back crew to start calling Bush and Cheney and Rummy spineless wimps?

No comments: