Sunday, December 11, 2005

Your saw it Old Hickory's Weblog before Sunday

This article caught my eye on Sunday: War experts advise strategy overhaul: Authors of downbeat report fear current course risks cataclysm by James Sterngold San Francisco Chronicle 12/11/05.

It's about a paper called "Precedents, Variables, and Options in Planning a U.S. Military Disengagement Strategy from Iraq" by W. Andrew Terrill and Conrad C. Crane.

Regular readers of Old Hickory's Weblog may recall the title from this post of 10/13/05 in which I linked to that paper and commented on it: Iraq War: An optimistic view.

I also linked to another, earlier paper by Terrill and Crane (which appears to be the 2003 paper also referenced in Sterngold's article) on 10/24/05 in Iraq War: The failure to plan for the occupation.

And I returned to that earlier paper and commented on it in Iraq War: It's not as though they weren't warned ... 06/11/05

And on 12/06/05, I referenced an Op-Ed by Terrill: Iraq War: The problem of permanent bases.

I'm not claiming a "scoop" here.  All of these papers had been posted on the Carlisle Barracks-Army War College Web site for a while when I linked to them.

There's a lot of great stuff like these papers out there.  I'm happy to see the Chronicle making use of them.  I hope more reporters and bloggers will discover sources like this.

No comments: