Sunday, September 4, 2005

Shameless

I suppose sometimes it's good that Dear Leader Bush and the leading members of his administration have no sense of shame.

If they possessed any, they would never be able to appeal to the European Union for help in meeting the Katrina crisis, aka, Bush's Disaster II.

In my previous post, I mentioned how Spain and Germany, both favorite targets for the anti-European-democracy polemics of today's Republican Party, were releasing oil from their own emergency reserves at the request of Dear Leader to help ease the dislocations in the oil market caused by Katrina.

This morning, the first headline I see is: EEUU pide ayuda humanitaria urgente a la UE para socorrer a las víctimas del huracán El Mundo (Spain) 04.09.05. ("US urgently appeals to the EU for humanitarian support to aid the victims of the hurricane").

That would be the European Union.  Or in Republican terms, the cowardly, ungrateful, anti-American Europeans who snivel in fear before The Terrorists.  Who practice appeasement because they didn't want to invade a country like Iraq that was not threatening them.  The European wimps and sissies.  Those Europeans.

I can't wait to hear about anti-European loudmouths like Michael Savage or the junkie bigot Rush Limbaugh gush about how appreciative they are to our European friends for helping us improve our own disgracefully inadequate American response to the loss of New Orleans and the refugee crisis that resulted from it.

The United States is asking the European Union for first aid kits, trucks to transport water and 500,000 packages of food.

Hopefully, Rummy will at least wait until the emergency aid gets to the refugees here before he goes on TV and sneers some more at "Old Europe."

From the immortal Townes Van Zandt's "If I Needed You":

If I needed you
Would you come to me?
Would you come to me
And ease my pain?

If you needed me
I would come to you
I would swim the seas
For to ease your pain

No comments: