Thursday, January 20, 2005

Science Friday: The art and science of sleep

I haven't really done "science Friday" like a lot of bloggers do.  But I think it's a good habit.  So at least for this Friday I'm doing it.  (No promises for future weeks, though!)

Fortunately, I just found out about something that fits very nicely.  My friend Shawn Kimbro has entered the blogosphere with a sleep blog.  Yes, it's a blog about sleep: Sleepscience.

Shawn, in his day job, is a sleep therapist.  What is that, you ask?  Well, it's someone who helps patients suffering from sleep disorders.  So check out his new blog.  You'll find out about things you always wanted to know about sleep.  And even about some things you never imaginged you would want to know about sleep.

Now that Shawn's is in the blogging game, I hope he decides to branch out and post on some of his other areas of interest and expertise, like politics, bluegrass music and snake-handling religion.  Although, he does have some heretical ideas about Andy Jackson ...

Seeing Shawn's blog reminds me of something I called to his attention a couple of years ago: that the National Sleep Foundation designated a famous singer as one of their "successful sleepers."

Britney Spears, the 20-year old pop singing sensation, said that without lots of sleep, she gets “bratty and sensitive.” With such a busy schedule of touring and promotions, she sleeps whenever she can, and considers it a big part of taking care of herself.

She's 23 now, so obviously this is an older item.  But, yes, among her many, many talents, Little Boo is also a champion sleeper!

Now, this news immediately aroused my curiosity.  This is clearly an important phenomenon.  So I suggested to Shawn that we apply for a scientific grant to study this more closely.  With his expertise and my, uh, general interest in the subject, I'm sure we could do some pathbreaking research.

Shawn, I think we need to revive this project.  I mean, Science demands it!

No comments: