Monday, October 13, 2003

At Other AOL Political Blogs

Progressive Musings has been looking at other liberal Web sites and playing with posting photographs. And he's doing a lot better at it than I am, I must say! I'm digitally challenged when it comes to photos. I'm going to work on it. I'm currently recovering from a Windows crash. PM is also shaking his head in amazement at Pat Robertson and Ghettopoly.

Cheese Louise is dissecting the California recall, a fertile topic.

Windmills of my mind tried to keep her mind off politics for a few days. But now she's back to musing about the Texasification of American politics. She also pointed out the other day that AOL Journalmeister John Scalzi has a non-AOL blog, Whatever, where he's been talking about spam, radio appearances, baseball and his general approach to commenting on political issues.

Charlie Eklund at The Other Shoe quotes from an article in which Ed Asner seems to be outing himself as an admirer of Joe Stalin. I think that may be reading too much into Asner's comment, in which actually says that he would like to play Stalin, and comments that he thinks Stalin is "misunderstood." The source article in a column from the conservative World Net Daily does imply that. But I'd take that with a grain of salt.

British historian Alan Bullock did a great biography called Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives that was one of the first post-Cold War histories I read. I can imagine that either of those characters would be a fascinating challenge for an actor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bruce, glad to know someone out there is tuning in. your iraq links and commentary are sending me ever closer to baking my head in a 450 degree oven. i had a lot more stamina for protest when i was a young woman during the VN war. this one has already worn me out. destroying the date palm and citrus groves in iraq. the livelihood for the farmers, the food for the people. not to mention shooting to kill, no questions asked.

Anonymous said...

Eric Alterman has addressed the question of Ed Asner and also of Stalin being "misunderstood" at his MSNBC Weblog:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/752664.asp#031015
Bruce