Saturday, April 3, 2004

Confederate "Heritage" Month: April 4

The Okaloosa NAACP's featured item for April 4 is from the same book on Robert E. Lee quoted in my previous post.

It's from a letter of Robert E. Lee's of March 12, 1868 (emphasis in red from the Okaloosa page):

I rode out the other day to Mr. Andrew Cameron's and went into the field where he was plowing. I took great pleasure in following the plows around the circuit. He had four in operation. Three of them were held by his former comrades in the army, who are regularly employed by him, and, he says, much to his satisfaction and profit. People have got to work now. It is creditable to them to do so; their bodies and their minds are benefited by it, and those who can and will work will be advanced by it. You will never prosper with the blacks, and it is abhorrent to a reflecting mind to be supporting and cherishing those who are plotting and working for your injury, and all of whose sympathies and associations are antagonistic to yours. I wish them no evil in the world-on the contrary, will do them every good in my power, and know that they are misled by those to whom they have given their confidence; but our material, social, and political interests are naturally with the whites. Mr. Davis's trial was fixed for the last of this month. If Judge Chase's presence is essential, I do not see how it can take place, unless that of Mr. Johnson is to be postponed. I suppose that will be decided to­day or to­morrow, and then I shall ...

The site also recommends Lee Considered: General Robert E. Lee & Civil War History (1991) by Alan Nolan. I agree with their recommendation. Nolan gives attention to aspects of Lee's life that have been badly distorted in the Lost Cause mythology.

No comments: