Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Is Mel getting stranger?

Mel Gibson now says he's considering a movie about the Maccabean revolt of the Jews against their Seleucid Greek rulers in the second century BCE. Gibson links it to the story behind the Jewish festival of lights, Hanukah. As he conceives it:

 "The story that's always fired my imagination ... is the Book of Maccabees," the actor and director told ABC Radio talk show host Sean Hannity on Tuesday.

"The Maccabees family stood up, and they made war. They stuck by their guns and they came out winning," he said. "It's like a Western."

So far, none of the articles I've seen on this mention the thing that immediately jumped to my mind, though. 2 Maccabees 7 gives a brief but graphic description of seven Jewish resisters being tortured to death in front of their mother. 4 Maccabees has even more graphic detail of the event in chapters 8-12. The word "macabre" derives from the name Maccabee due to this story.

Yeah, I can see where ole Mel is going with this one. And I was mostly kidding when I speculated earlier on what other Bible stories might interest him!

No comments: