Wednesday, March 3, 2004

Fair Warning to the Really Pious...

You probably don't want to read this post: 40 Thoughts on The Passion.

I haven't seen the movie. And after reading the reviews, I don't plan to. Between the reactionary anti-Jewish theology, the amount of blood and gore that splatters around by all accounts and the sleazy publicity campaign that Gibson has used to promote it, I've lost all interest in seeing the thing.

I was kind of curious to hear the Aramaic and Latin. I heard a professor of classical languages say that the Latin is actually very good. But she also said it's probably historically inaccurate. The Romans in that area at that time probably spoke Greek.

But this reviewer in "40 Thoughts" obviously has some good ideas about the theology involved and the ways sensationalism can be passed off under a cover of piety. Also, I think the review is funny as hell (pardon the expression). A sample:

4) Seriously, the only anti-Semitic part is the constant throng of Jews that torture, torment and scream for the death of Jesus. Once you get past that mindless mob of evil, giggling, mocking Jews, it could hardly be considered anti-Semitic at all. ...

9) Keeping children away from the ultra-violence and subversive messages of films such as Harry Potter and Saturday morning cartoons is a good thing. Exposing them to the long, slow, bloody, torturous death of the Savior of all mankind is also a good thing. Go figure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't really planning to see it either, though.

Anonymous said...

Right said....I also have zippo interest in seeing this (and giving any of my money to Mel Gibson) after reading a few reviews of it....

Anonymous said...

i don't even want to go to the multiplex while it's playing there, that's how strongly i feel about it. i may email you with the reactions of a couple of my Korean students to seeing the film. too long for 500 characters.

Anonymous said...

i probably did want to read that post. and so, i read it. it was wonderful. i want to print it out and pass it around to everyone i know who thinks they really should see this movie, for reason x y or z. stop handing over ANY cash to this lunatic! stop it right now!

Anonymous said...

The more I hear about this movie, the less I want to see it. But I do know that because people have distinct and fixed ideas about Jesus and what he means today, people will see very different things in the movie. Usually, I would see a controversial movie like this just to have a first-hand opinion. But between the gore, the reactionary theology and the marketing campaign, I just don't even want to rent this one on DVD. - Bruce

Anonymous said...

AMEN.

Anonymous said...

I've been seing on the local Christian propaganda channel in the city I live in, all the statistics from the money "The Passion" has been making.  Not only there, but from places that track how much money a movie will make - $700 million, I believe is what it is expected to totally gross.  $700 million; with cheese like that, I would hope Mr. Gibson would do the "Christian" thing and give a large substantial portion of the profits (after paying the actors, the crew, etc.) to random charities, maybe even an organization dedicated to fighting anti-Semitism, since he's not anti-Jewish and all.