Friday, November 28, 2003

Iraq War: 3rd ID Report - Where I Found the Link

When I saw where I found the link to the 3ID After Action Report, I almost revised my previous post. But I decided to leave it there to show the thought process I went through.

I had originally cited the place I first heard about the report, in the second-previous post before the one in which I quoted from the After Action report. It was in the New York Times Magazine! In an article by David Rieff that was cited all over the place by blogs critical of the war!

So, if the thing was discussed a month ago in the so-called "paper of record," how does it suddently resurface as a news story now for the Associated Press, PBS Newshour and the Christian Science Monitor? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see the coverage (finally).

And I'll give myself a tiny bit of credit for looking up the report itself, because Rieff's article didn't include the Web address. (And I did pull the quotes I used directly from the report).

So maybe you do see stuff developed on Weblogs that the mainstream press is just ignoring, or severely underplaying. Searching for the source that it turns out I had already cited, I also found a few other articles from over the last month that used the report:

A Pentagon With No Papers by Fred Kaplan (Slate 11/07/03)

Logistic woes plagued Army division during, after [sic] Iraq war (Government Executive Magazine 11/11/03)

The truth behind the US's "Iron Fist" (Asia Times Online 11/20/03)


Tags:

No comments: