Saturday, February 5, 2005

How a non-story became national news

Kevin Drum has tracked how the Ward Churchill story that I wrote about in the last Chuckie Watch developed: Pack Journalism 02/05/05. His summary:

It's fascinating how a trivial story like this managed to spread so far, isn't it? The right wing machine pushed, the New York Times responded, and then the rest of the press followed. Within days, the previously insignificant Ward Churchill had become a household name and a virtual poster boy for lefty nihilism based on something that no one on either the left or right had cared a whit about in the three years since he wrote it. Truly an object lesson for us all.
Tags:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruce,

Did you read the essay by Churchill?  I thought it was rather good actually.  I posted on it in my blog and have links there if you feel like reading it.  What a joke this has been.

dave

Anonymous said...

Bruce,

I read Dave's post.  There is absolutely nothing appealing about Churchill's comments to entice one to read further.  I really do not understand how anyone could defend Churchill, but I also don't see why anyone should care much what he has to say.  

Talk about manufacturing news.  

Makes me wish we had some naughtiness at the Super Bowl to distract us from this distraction.

Neil