Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Chuckie Watch 75: Chuckie gives thanks

What's ole Chuckie doin' for Thanksgiving 2004?  Well, Chuckie's praying.  I don't blame him.  After his last post, he needs to pray for, I don't know, a little common humanity?

But Chuckie's mostly givin' thanks, for things like:

I thank God that I live in the United States of America ...

Of course.  I mean, Chuckie could have been born in some heathen country like France, Canada, Spain.  How terrible would that have been for him?

And Chuckie's giving thanks:

that we have a President who is a believer...

Yes, that Kerry guy could have gotten elected.  Did you know he was a Catholic?  Yes, we need to give thanks that we have a believer in the White House instead.

And Chuckie has a Thanksgiving request of us:

... I ask you all to join me in a prayer that the sons and daughters of America who are in the military will be joining us next year.

Uh, Chuckie, I think it's kind of bad form to be asking the Good Lord to fix the mess in Iraq while you're just cheering mindlessly for war, defending torture and gushing with enthusiasm over the shooting to death of a wounded, unarmed prisoner.

Unfortunately for us, God often leaves us our own messes to clean up.  Every now and then, the human race learns something in the process.  But the lesson about war seems to be a pretty tough one for homo sapiens to absorb.

Maybe Chuckie should take a few minutes and listen to Steve Earle's song "Jerusalem":

Maybe I'm only dreaming
Or maybe I'm just a fool
But I don't remember learning how
To hate in Sunday School

Nah, it'd just go right over Chuckie's head.  He probably only wants to hear about the parts of the Bible that talk about how Jesus wants us to torture our enemiesand killwounded prisoners.  Where are those Gospel passages again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I don't think God -- if there is one -- had anything to do with it, I'm thankful I live in the U.S.  Or, according to some people, "Jesusland," Ohio district.  Speaking of that, I find it kind of offensive that just for the simple reason that I live in a state that gave its electoral votes to Bush, I have been categorized as someone who has incestous relationships with their siblings, is an active member of the KKK and hate gay people.  Seems kind of intolerant to think that way about us all -- and I even voted for Kerry.  Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a lot of the commentary about red state/blue state has been kind of frivolous.  Because both parties are genuinely national parties, unlike the situation in the Deep South up until the 1960s, when the Republican Party hardly existed as a functioning party that could contest elections.

Growing up in Mississippi and knowing people there and visiting there often, I'm very aware that there are plenty of Democrats in mostly Republican states. So I've found the red state/blue state talk kind of superficial.

In fact, the Mississippi Democrats I know are generally more reliable hardcore Democratic partisans than the ones I know in California. And, I don't mean that they are "Fox Democrats" or Zell Miller types, I mean they are real Democrats. - Bruce