Monday, November 21, 2005

Why do they call Maverick McCain a moderate? Chapter 527

Atrios raises yet another question about media darling and fabled Republican Maverick John McCain is considered such a "moderate": Straight Racist 11/21/05.

He's speaking at a fundraising for George Wallace, Jr., who has been kissing up to the overtly racist and neo-Confederate White Citizens Council.

I'm assuming Atrios didn't mean to imply that Maverick McCain is a racist in the literal sense.  Wallace is a Republican elected official in Alabama, and speaking at a fundraiser for him isn't the same as speaking to the White Citizens Council.  I discussed Wallace and the Citizen Council back in June: George Wallace addresses the White Citizens Council 06/09/05.

But it does raise the question of why Maverick McCain is considered such a "moderate".  I don't think being less obnoxious than Dick Cheney on the torture issue counts as "moderation".  Calls to escalate the Iraq War don't either.

But Maverick McCain is a media darling, so the Big Pundits treat him as the marvelous Maverick McCain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was sent over by Dave of Random Thoughts. I can't wait to read more, including the past entries. I put you on my alerts.